Biography of the Governor
His Excellency General The Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Ret'd), is the 38th Governor of New South Wales. He commenced his five year tenure in October 2014.
Prior to his appointment as Governor, His Excellency served for 42 years in the Australian Army, concluding his service as the Chief of the Defence Force. His Excellency was appointed a Companion within the Order of Australia in 2010 for eminent service to the Australian Defence Force, and had been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his leadership during Operation SOLACE in Somalia in 1993.
His Excellency is married to Linda and has three adult children: Caitlin, Marcus and Amelia. He has a wide range of interests in the arts and in sport.
As Governor of New South Wales, His Excellency intends to support the people and community organisations of New South Wales, through:
- assisting programs and organisations that promote inclusiveness, diversity and active citizenship
- recognising innovation, achievement and excellence
- promoting industry and regional development
- providing support in times of adversity
- advocating for marginalised members of our community.