Twice a year the Governor holds Investiture Ceremonies involving the presentation of honours and awards to citizens of the State included on the Australia Day and Queen’s Birthday Honours lists. Recipients are principally invested with awards under the Order of Australia, but there are also a number of Service and Bravery awards.
The New South Wales Australia Day Honours and Awards are presented in May. The Queen's Birthday Honours and Awards are presented in September. Six ceremonies are held over three days on each occasion and are hosted at Government House Sydney.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Morning Ceremony: 10.30 am to 12.30 pm (Including refreshments)
- Afternoon Ceremony: 3.00 pm to 5.00 pm (Including refreshments)
Government House Sydney
A map will be provided with Entrée cards which will be posted two weeks prior to the Ceremony
- Morning Ceremony: with sufficient time to be seated by 10.00 am
- Afternoon Ceremony: with sufficient time to be seated by 2.30 pm
- Morning Ceremony: seated by 10.15 am
- Afternoon Ceremony: seated by 2.45 pm
- Maximum of Three (3) guests per recipient
- It is recommended that all guests are 10 years of age or above
Lounge suit or Service equivalent
- Women: uniform, day dress, skirt and jacket or pants suit (hats and gloves optional)
- Men: uniform or suit with tie
Those to be invested are asked to not wear medals or decorations for previously-awarded honours. However, ribbon bars may be worn by service personnel.
Approximately 2 hours
Entry to Government House is by Entrée card only (posted two weeks prior to Ceremony)
- Car parking available in grounds of Government House Sydney (no prior booking required)
- We strongly encourage the use of public transport, including taxis.
- For public transport information please see Visit us
Please advise Government House Sydney if anyone attending has difficulty walking 30 metres and discuss any requirements for mobility assistance including the use of wheel chairs, walking frames or companion animals.
No private photography is permitted during the Investiture Ceremony. An official photographer is engaged to capture all official images and information will be provided to you on the day about how you can obtain copies. You are welcome to take photographs during refreshments.
Inability to Attend
If you are unable to attend please advise Government House Sydney as soon as you are able. Please advise your preference for one of the following options:
a) Roll Over: Government House can schedule your investiture to take place at the next Investiture ceremony
b) Post Out: Government House can post to you your medal and citation, this will not occur until after the completion of Investiture ceremonies
Protocol Support Officer
Government House Sydney
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9228 5890