Government House Sydney welcomes visitors to the House and magnificent grounds of one of Australia's oldest buildings.
The House is open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 10:30am to 3:00pm with Guided Tours operating half-hourly [subject to variations listed below].
One Sunday a month the Governor hosts Jazz@theHouse. Find out more here.
|Saturday, 2 December 2023||House and grounds closed|
For more information regarding tours and opening times, please contact (02) 9228 4111.
Although guided tours of Government House are free of charge, for security reasons all visitors participating in a guided tour are required to register at the Ticket Office next to the main gate. To register you must present valid identification such as an:
- Australian or International Passport
- Australian or International Drivers' Licence
- Australian Medicare Card
- Australian Student Card
- Australian Seniors Card
- Australian Proof of Identification Cards
- Australian Birth or Citizenship Certificate
A maximum 20 visitors can be accommodated on each tour. Tickets are allocated on a ‘first come first served’ basis.
All bags must be cloaked at the Ticket Office prior to entry – no bags are allowed inside Government House Sydney. Luggage/Suitcases cannot be brought to or stored on Government House Sydney property.
Groups of 10 or more may book a tour by prior arrangement. Please contact us Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm for further information.
Government House Sydney is located inside the Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney. The nearest gates to Government House are located on Macquarie Street to the left of the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. From there it is a short walk to the main gate of Government House.
The nearest train, bus and ferry services are available at Circular Quay (10 minutes’ walk). There is a lift from Circular Quay up to the Cahill Expressway (located at East Circular Quay). From the Cahill Expressway, access to the Royal Botanic Gardens and Government House can be reached.
- There are a couple of steps leading into Government House Sydney
- There is no hand rail but ramps are available on request
- There are a couple of steps and ramps with hand rails from the State Rooms to the Arcade and Eastern Terrace Garden
- Apart from the main entrance and Arcade exit, all State Rooms have level access
- Accessible bathrooms are available
- Disability parking is available. Please contact us during business hours (Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm) before your visit to notify us about your parking needs.
Other than prearranged disability parking, there is no parking on site for tours or general visits to the grounds.